Thursday 14 April 2016


We have been learning about the ANZACs recently and we wrote a poem about it.
I really liked writing this poem, and I think I did really well. Here is my poem...

A Soldier's Lifetime at War


Imagine, us comrades, fallen in the mud, blood, rifles, dead surrounding us, coughing, chest complaints, scratching, moaning scared out of our minds,
  Soldiers, safety, where are you? Bombs, fire, explosions, go away please. I want out, I want home, I want my family.
  My boots are lost, I feel woozy, I feel tired. Bombs are everywhere. I feel numb. I feel weak, and I fall over. They carry on, ignoring the fighting, their clothes ripped, their bodies torn badly, their skin pale as snow.  
‘Boys, Gas, remember your families boys, put your gas masks on!.’
Gas mask, on, have my mates got them on?
  I can’t see them,, where have they gone? This gas is blinding, This gas is thick., This gas is dark green and I feel around, looking, hoping, to find something, but I find nothing.
  I hear a high cry, and look around, to find someone rushing, wobbling towards me, coughing, and spluttering, and I know he is dying, and I feel helpless, and I feel sorry for him.
I hated watching this, hearing this, This man, I don’t know him, but he has dark, curly, hair, and I know I have to pick him up, move him, and as I do, I feel the man gripping me, and gurgling up blood, vomiting, and withering in my grip, as I lay him down in the wagon.
  I walk away, my stomach twisting, as I hear him dying, hear him suthering. Imagine what it is like, to hear someone dying, someone just like you, and to know that that may be you next time. To have a fear of death, is the biggest and worst fear ever. Imagine what death is like.  
  If you have ever seen death, ever seen someone in pain, you will understand how terrible I feel now. If you have ever heard bombs flying over your head, while you worry that that next bomb might land on you, you’ll understand, If you have ever experienced war, you will understand it isn’t one bit glorious to die for your country, It is the opposite, It is truly horrible.

By Charlotte


I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment